Sunday, June 23, 2013

Kanye West-YEEZUS



      Kanye West is Back!!!!! After three long years since "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fanstasy", Yeezy has decided to show favor upon the listening public and bless us with his 6th solo effort "YEEZUS". I will admit, much of this project was shrouded in mystery up until a few weeks ago.This is when J.Cole decided that he would push up his album release date by a week so he could compete with Ye' ala 50 Cent Style. Now some may consider this as blasphemy because "This is what Ye' does Son"...."The last time he went against some one...he killed him first week son"...or my personal favorite "Cole is wack, his lyrics are boring and there is no way he can go against a Kanye West album....son" lol
     NOT SO FAST DEAR READERS....I'm here to tell you that everything is not what it seems. Yeezus is a different type of album. Trying to compare this to a traditional rap album will prove futile. The opening chords of "On Sight" automatically lets you know that you are not in RapLand anymore. If you are like me, you decide to read the liner notes and you notice something totally shocking. "On Sight" is produced by DAFT PUNK...yes..THAT Daft Punk. Normally I would be intrigued by such a pairing but the sounds are so off-putting that I was barely able to get through the the first track. "Black Skinhead" doesnt do much to alleviate my instant headache as it begins to hollow out my brain. I check the liner notes again and what do i see?...Daft Punk. This song doesnt even resemble a Kanye West record. It sounds like he is featuring on his own song.
    "I am a God" pushes me even further to my aural limits..The title, subject matter and downright crass lyrics makes this song an unbearable listen..I wont comment on that particular song any further.  "New Slaves" is the initial reason I was remotely excited about this new album, I really wish this was the opening track instead of being forced to wade through the murky waters of the first three songs. "The minute I began to take my fingers out of my ears and believe that the album is about to get good...."Hold My Liquor"  featuring Chief Keef and Justin Vernon comes on and reminds me that my ears are still being tortured. This first half of the album leaves me bewildered and struggling to grasp what exactly is happening.
      I seem to be a glutton for punishment or a staunch Kanye apologist because I refused to believe that this album wasn't worth my time or any one elses. "Im In It" doesn't leave anything to the imagination as it's Kanye at his Raunchiest..but...for some strange reason this song works..maybe its the assist from Assassin and Justin Vernon(at this point Justin Vernon is Ye's favorite everything). The song stops abruptly however and goes directly into "Blood on The Leaves" which is another song that works...if nothing else the production is crazy...I just hated the sample beacuse "Strange Fruit" was made during such a poignant part of Black American History..that what Ye turned that into seemed distasteful and out of place..for example why would I wanna hear Kanye scream "Fuck Them Other Niggas" while the background sample vocals cry out "Black Bodies Swinging In The Southern Breeze"...C'mon son..I KNOW you have more sense than that right?
    Anywho maybe just maybe he had a change of heart because the next song is known as "Guilt Trip" featuring Kid Cudi...I wasnt gonna hold my breath and frankly neither should you. "Send It Up" sends me into a tizzy with its repetitive sirens and repetitive lyrics...I guess this will be the drunk anthem for the summer. The final song "Bound 2" upset me for two reasons...the first being that this is what I was WAITING to hear from Kanye for the whole album and second since it was indeed the final song, it was a sore reminder that Kanye West is a brilliant mind he if so decided to use it. Or maybe the was the point all along..Maybe we the listener aren't ready yet to understand what we just heard. Maybe after a couple more spins we'll understand the true genius of this record....Maybe.....
  

2 comments:

  1. Wow you went in depth on this review. Thank saved me 15 bucks or how ever much cds cost these days.lol Good review.

    ReplyDelete